Thursday, February 20, 2020

debt is not good

Today in class we learned about ancient Greece forms of government that led to the rise of democracy. We took notes on a power point that I will type later. If I was one of the people that was about to be turned into a debt slave, then I would just dip before I get forced into something. I would run, sneak on a boat (have some of my money ofc), and then move to whatever place the boat takes me (Hopefully an island). Anyways here are some of the notes I took today:

  • polis: fundamental political unit, made up of a city and the surrounding countryside (politics)

  • monarchy: rule by a single person (a king, in Greece)

  • aristocracy: rule by a small group of noble, very rich, landowning families

  • oligarchy: wealthy groups, dissatisfied with aristocratic rule, who seized power (often with military help)

  • tyrant: powerful individual who seized control by appealing to the common people for support 

  • the 7th and 6th centuries BCE, aristocrats ran the show in most of Greece
  • Aristocrats: members of the ruling class
  • attended symposiums (meetings where the elite men would enjoy wine and poetry, performances by dancers and acrobats, and the company of hetaeras {courtesans or servants} while discussing politics)


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Last Blog // Letter to my future self

Dear old Gabby, This year has been one of the most surpring and craziest years ever!!!(and it is only the beginning of the year). The begi...