Monday, September 9, 2019

Excellence Notes Continued

Today I learned that you can't do your blog over the weekend so right now I have a C. I know it will go up, but its very nerve wrecking seeing my grade that low. We also found out that we have a test on Friday! In class we took notes on the rest of the power point, so here it is:

Vocab

  • Perihelion - point when a planet is closest to the sun, therefore at its brightest
  • Slipshod - careless, lackadaisical
  • Imbecility - incapability, stupidity
  • Stenographer - person who takes dictation in shorthand (like a secretary/ writes fast)
"What is Initiative? I'll tell you: It is doing the right thing without being told"

Arete

  • excellence of any kind
  • moral virtue
  • fulfillment of purpose or function
  • but mostly...
  • The act of living up to one's full potential
More about it
  • arete involves all of the abilities and potentialities available to humans
  • the highest human potential is knowledge - all other human abilities are derived from this
  • if arete is knowledge and study, then  the highest human knowledge is knowledge about knowledge itself



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Last Blog // Letter to my future self

Dear old Gabby, This year has been one of the most surpring and craziest years ever!!!(and it is only the beginning of the year). The begi...